Francesc Bejarano, Ignacio Jose Olavarria-Contreras, Andrea Droghetti, Ivan Rungger, Alexander Rudnev, Diego Gutiérrez, Marta Mas-Torrent, Jaume Veciana, Herre S. J. van der Zant, Concepció Rovira, Enrique Burzurí and Núria Crivillers
Jaume Veciana's Publications
-  Self-Assembly of an Organic Radical Thin Film and its Memory Function Investigated Using a Liquid Metal Electrode.
J. Phys. Chem. C. 2018, 122 (31), pp 17784–17791. 2018.
D. Gutiérrez, S. Riera-Galindo, A. Murugan Rathamony, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, M. Mas-Torrent, and N. Crivillers.
-  Surface-Bound Gradient Deposition of Protein Nanoparticles for Cell Motility Studies.
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2018, 10 (30), pp 25779–25786.
W. I. Tatkiewicz, J. Seras-Franzoso, E. Garcia-Fruitós, E. Vazquez, A.R. Kyvik, J. Guasch, A. Villaverde, J. Veciana, and I. Ratera.
-  Design of Perchlorotriphenylmethyl (PTM) Radical‐Based Compounds for Optoelectronic Applications: The Role of Orbital Delocalization.
ChemPhysChem 2018, 19, 1–8.
V. Diez‐Cabanes, G. Seber, C. Franco, F. Bejarano, N. Crivillers, M. Mas‐Torrent, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, J. Cornil.
-  Highly Stable and Red‐Emitting Nanovesicles Incorporating Lipophilic Diketopyrrolopyrroles for Cell Imaging.
Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 1 – 8.
A. Ardizzone, D. Blasi, D. Vona, A. Rosspeintner, A. Punzi, E. Altamura, N. Grimaldi, S. Sala, E. Vauthey, G. M. Farinola, I. Ratera, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana.
-  Tuning Spin-Spin Interactions in Radical Dendrimers.
ChemPhysChem 2018, 19, 1 – 9.
V. Lloveras, F. Liko, L. F. Pinto, J. L. Muñoz-Gómez, J. Veciana, and J. Vidal-Gancedo.
-  Artificial 3D Culture Systems for T Cell Expansion.
ACS Omega, 2018, 3 (5), pp 5273–5280.
E. Pérez del Río, M. Martínez Miguel, J. Veciana, I. Ratera, and J. Guasch.
-  Nanostructuring Lipophilic Dyes in Water Using Stable Vesicles, Quatsomes, as Scaffolds and Their Use as Probes for Bioimaging.
SMALL, 14, 16, 1703851, 2018.
Ardizzone, A; Kurhuzenkau, S; Illa-Tuset, S; Faraudo, J; Bondar, M; Hagan, D; Van Stryland, EW; Painelli, A; Sissa, C; Feiner, N; Albertazzi, L; Veciana, J.; Ventosa, N.
-  Role of the Open-Shell Character on the Pressure-Induced Conductivity of an Organic Donor-Acceptor Radical Dyad.
CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL 24, 21, 5500-5505, 2018.
Souto, M; Gullo, MC; Cui, HB; Casati, N; Montisci, F; Jeschke, HO; Valenti, R; Ratera, I; Rovira, C; Veciana, J.
-  Stimuli-Responsive Functionalization Strategies to Spatially and Temporally Control Surface Properties: Michael vs Diels-Alder Type Additions.
The journal of physical chemistry. B, 122, 16, 4481-4490. 2018.
A. R. Kyvik, C. Luque-Corredera, D. Pulido, M. Royo, J. Veciana, J. Guasch, I. Ratera.
 Oligothienylenevinylene Polarons and Bipolarons Confinedbetween Electron-Accepting Perchlorotriphenylmethyl Radicals
Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24,1–9 dic 2017
Paula Mayorga Burrezo, Carlos Franco, Ruben Caballero, Marta Mas-Torrent, Fernando Langa, Juan T. López Navarrete, Concepcio Rovira, Jaume Veciana, and Juan Casado
 Robust organic radical molecular junctions using acetylene terminated groups for C-Au bond formation.
J. Am. Chem. Soc., (2018) 140, 1691–1696; DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b10019
F. Bejarano, I. J. Olavarria-Contreras, A. Droghetti, I. Rungger, A. Rudnev, D. Gutiérrez, M. Mas-Torrent, J. Veciana, H. S. J. van der Zant, C. Rovira, E. Burzurí, and N. Crivillers
 "Redox-Induced Gating of the Exchange Interactions in a Single Organic Diradical"
Gaudenzi, R; de Bruijckere, J; Reta, D; Moreira, IDPR; Rovira, C; Veciana, J; van der Zant, HSJ; Burzuri, E
ACS NANO Volumen: 11 Número: 6 Páginas: 5879-5883. JUN 2017
 "Highly Fluorescent Silicon Nanocrystals Stabilized in Water Using Quatsomes"
Silbaugh, DA; Ferrer-Tasies, L; Faraudo, J.; Veciana, J.; Ventosa, N.; Korgel, BA
LANGMUIR Volumen: 33, 50, 14366-14377. DEC 19 2017. DOI 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b03539
-  “Synthesis and characterization of ethylenedithio-MPTTF-PTM radical dyad as a potential neutral radical conductor” M. Souto, D. Bendixen, M. Jensen, J.O. Jeppesen, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Magnetochemistry, in press (2017)
-  “On the Operative Mechanism of Hole Assisted Negative Charge Motion in Ground States of Radical-anion Molecular Wires” C. Franco, P. Mayorga Burrezo, V. Lloveras, R. Caballero, I. Alcón, S.T. Bromley, M. Mas-Torrent, F. Langa, J.T. López Navarrete, C. Rovira, J. Casado, J. Veciana, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 686-692 (2017)
-  “Bis(Aminoaryl) Carbon-Bridged Oligo(phenylenevinylene)s Expand the Limits of Electronic Couplings” P. Mayorga-Burrezo, N.-T. Lin, K. Nakabayashi, S. Ohkoshi, E.M. Calzado, P.G. Boj, M.A. Díaz-García[c], C. Franco, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, M. Moos, C. Lambert, J.T. López Navarrete, H. Tsuji, E. Nakamura, J. Casado, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 56, 2898 –2902 (2017)
-  “Visible and near-IR spectroscopy of endohedral Gd@C82(C2v) and Ho@C82(C2v) metallofullerenes and their monoanions” I.E. Kareev, V. M. Nekrasov, A. E. Dutlov, V. M. Martynenko, V. P. Bubnov, E. Laukhina, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 91, 536–542 (2017)
-  “Excimers from Stable and Persistent Supramolecular Radical-Pairs in Red/NIR-Emitting Organic Nanoparticles and Polymeric Films” D. Blasi, D.M. Nikolaidou, F. Terenziani, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19, 9313 - 9319 (2017)
-  “Direct Covalent Grafting of an Organic Radical Core on Gold and Silver” M. R. Ajayakumar, I. Alcón, S. T. Bromley, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, M. Mas-Torrent, RSC Advances, 7, 20076 - 20083 (2017)
-  “Tuning the Rectification Ratio by Changing the Electronic Nature (Open-Shell and Closed-Shell) in Donor-Acceptor SAMs” M. Souto, L. Yuan, D.C. Morales, L. Jiang, I. Ratera, C.A. Nijhuis, J. Veciana, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 4262−4265 (2017)
-  “NMR signal enhancement > 50000 times in Fast Dissolution Dynamic Nuclear Polarization” L. F. Pinto, I. Marín-Montesinos, V. Lloveras, J. L. Muñoz-Gómez, M. Pons, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, Chem. Commun. 53, 3757-3760 (2017)
-  “Study of the E-Z stilbene isomerisation in perchlorotriphenyl-methane (PTM) derivatives” F. Bejarano, I. Alcon, N. Crivillers, M. Mas-Torrent, S.T. Bromley, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, RSC Advances, 7, 15278-15283 (2017)
-  "Covalent modification of highly ordered pyrolytic graphite with a stable organic free radical using diazonium chemistry" G. Seber, A. Rudnev, A. Droghetti, I. Rungger, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, N. Crivillers, Chem. Eur J., 23, 1415 – 1421 (2017)
-  “Investigation of Sensing Capabilities of Organic Bi-layer Thermistor in Wearable e-Textile and Wireless Sensing Devices” V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, V. Laukhin, A. Somov, A. Baranov, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Org. Electr., 42, 146-152 (2017)
-  “Proximity-induced Shiba states in a molecular junction” J.O. Island, R. Gaudenzi, J. de Bruijckere, E. Burzuri, C. Franco, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, T.M. Klapwijk, R. Aguado, H. S. J. van der Zant, Phys. Rev. Lett., 118, 117001 (2017)
-  “TTF-PTM dyads: From switched molecular self assembly in solution to radical conductors in solid state” M. Souto, C. Rovira, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, CrystEngCom., 19, 197 - 206 (2017)
-  “Dynamics of Intramolecular Spin Exchange Interaction of a Nitronyl Nitroxide Diradical in Solution and on Surfaces” V. Lloveras, E. Badetti, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, Nanoscale, 8, 5049–5058 (2016).
-  “Discrimination of Octahedral vs Trigonal Bipyramidal Coordination Geometries of Homogeneous Ti(IV), V(V) and Mo(VI) Amino Triphenolate Complexes Through Nitroxyl Radical Units” E. Badetti, V. Lloveras, F. Romano, R. Di Lorenzo, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, C. Zonta, G. Licini, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2016, 4968–497 (2016)
-  “Optimized polarization build-up times in dissolution DNP-NMR using a benzyl amino derivative of BDPA” J. L. Muñoz-Gómez, E. Monteagudo, V. Lloveras, T. Parella, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, RSC Adv., 6, 27077–27082 (2016)
-  “Magnetic and Electrochemical Properties of a TEMPO-Substituted Disulfide Diradical in Solution, in the Crystal, and on a Surface” V. Lloveras, E. Badetti, K. Wurst, V. Chechik, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, Chem. Eur. J. 22, 1805-1815, (2016)
-  "1,2,3-Triazole-diketopyrrolopyrrole derivatives with tunable solubility and intermolecular interactions" A. Punzi, E. Maiorano, F. Nicoletta, D. Blasi, A. Ardizzone, N. Ventosa, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, G.M. Farinola, Eur. J. Org Chem. 2016, 2617–2627 (2016).
-  “Attractive mechanical properties of a lightweight highly sensitive bi layer thermistor: polycarbonate/organic molecular conductor” E. Laukhina, V. Lebedev, C. Rovira, V. Laukhin, J. Veciana, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 108, 012050 (2016)
-  “Highly sensitive multi-layer pressure sensor with an active nanostructured layer of an organic molecular metal” E. Laukhina, V. Lebedev, C. Rovira, V. Laukhin, J. Veciana, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 108 (2016) 012038
-  “Structural and electronic characterisation of π-extended tetrathiafulvane derivatives as active components in field-effect transistors” A. Campos, N. Oxtoby, S. Galindo, R. Pfattner, J. Veciana, S. T. Bromley, C. Rovira, M. Mas-Torrent, CrystEngCom., 18, 6149–6152 (2016)
-  “Single Crystal–Like Performance in Solution-Coated Thin-Film Organic Field-Effect Transistors” G. del Pozo, S. Fabiano, R. Pfattner, S. Georgakopoulos, S. Galindo, X. Liu, S. Braun, M., Fahlman, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, X. Crispin, M. Berggren, M. Mas-Torrent, Adv. Funct. Mater, 2016, 26 , 2379–2386.
-  “Pressure-Induced Conductivity in a Neutral Non-planar Spin-localized Radical” M. Souto, H. Cui, M. Peña-Alvarez, V. García Baonza, H.O. Jeschke, M. Tomic, R. Valenti, D. Blasi, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 138, 11517-11525 (2016)
-  “Exchange coupling inversion in a high-spin organic triradical molecule" R. Gaudenzi, E. Burzurí, D. Reta, I. de P.R. Moreira, S. Bromley, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, H. van der Zant, Nano Lett, 16, 2066-2071 (2016)
-  “A Surface Confined Yttrium(III) Bis-phthalocyaninato Complex: A Colourful Switch Controlled by Electrons" I. Alcón, M. Gonidec, M. R. Ajayakumar, M. Mas-Torrent, and J. Veciana, Chem. Sci., 7, 4940–4944 (2016)
-  “Chemical Control over the Energy Level Alignment in a Two-Terminal Junction" L. Yuan, C. Franco, N. Crivillers, M. Mas-Torrent, L. Cao, C.S. Suchand Sangeeth, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Ch.A. Nijhuis, Nature Commun., 7, 12066-12076 (2016)
-  “Three Redox States of a Diradical Acceptor-Donor-Acceptor Triad: Gating the Magnetic Coupling and the Electron Delocalization" M. Souto, V. Lloveras, S. Vela, M. Fumanal, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, J. Phys. Chem Lett., 7, 2234-2239 (2016)
-  “Redox-active radical as an effective nanoelectronic component: stability and electrochemical tunnelling spectroscopy in ionic liquids” A.V. Rudnev, C. Franco, N. Crivillers, Gonca Seber, A. Droghetti, I. Rungger, I.V. Pobelov, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18, 27733--27737 (2016)
-  “An Electrically Driven and Readable Molecular Monolayer Switch Based on a Solid Electrolyte” E. Marchante, N. Crivillers, M. Buhl, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 55, 368 –372 (2016)
-  “α-Galactosidase A Loaded Nanoliposomes with Enhanced Enzymatic Activity and Intracellular Penetration” I. Cabrera, I. Abasolo, J.L. Corchero, E. Elizondo, P. Rivera Gil, E. Moreno, J. Faraudo, S. Sala, D. Bueno, E. González-Mira, M. Rivas, M. Melgarejo, D. Pulido, F. Albericio, M. Royo, A. Villaverde, M.F. García-Parajo, S. Schwartz Jr., N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, Adv. Healthcare Mater., 5, 829-840 (2016).
-  “Functional protein-based nanomaterial produced in GRAS microorganism: a new platform for biotechnology” O. Cano-Garrido; A. Sánchez-Chardi; S. Parés; I. Giró; W.I. Tatkiewicz; N. Ferrer-Miralles; I. Ratera; A. Natalello; R. Cubarsi; J. Veciana; À. Bach; A. Villaverde; A. Arís. E. Garcia-Fruitós, Acta Biomateralia, 43, 230-239 (2016)
-  “Lipid-based nanovesicles for nanomedicine” N. Grimaldi, F. Andrade, N. Segovia, L. Ferrer-Tasies, S. Sala, J. Veciana, N. Ventosa, Chem. Soc. Rev., 45, 6520-6545 (2016)
-  “Organic radicals for the enhancement of oxygen reduction reaction in Li-O2 batteries” A.Y. Tesio, D. Blasi, M. Olivares-Marín, I. Ratera, D. Tonti, J. Veciana, Chem. Commun., 51, 17623 - 17626 (2015)
-  “Particle Engineering with CO2-Expanded Solvents: The DELOS Platform” P.E. Rojas, S Sala, E Elizondo, J Veciana, N Ventosa In “Advances in Organic Crystal Chemistry: Comprehensive Reviews 2015” Eds. Rui Tamura, Mikiji Miyata, Springer, Japan, p 73-94 (2015)
-  “Π-Donors microstructuring on surface of polymer film by their noncovalent interactions with iodine” V. F. Traven, I.V. Ivanov, S.M. Dolotov, J. Miro Veciana, V.S. Lebedev, Y.М. Shulga, S.S. Khasanov, M.G. Medvedev, E.E. Laukhina, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 160, 161-167 (2015)
-  “A Highly-sensitive Pyroresistive All-organic Infrared Bolometer” R. Pfattner, V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, S. Chaitanya Kumar, A. Esteban-Martin, V. Ramaiah-Badarla, M. Ebrahim-Zadeh, F. Pelayo García de Arquer, G. Konstantatos, V. Laukhin, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Adv. Electr. Mater, 1, 1500090 (2015)
-  “An Electrically Driven and Readable Molecular Monolayer Switch Based on a Solid Electrolyte” E. Marchante, N. Crivillers, M. Buhl, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 128, 376-380 (2015)
-  “Pyrene-Based Dyad and Triad leading to a reversible chemical and redox optical and magnetic switch” C. Franco, M. Mas-Torrent, A. Caballero, A. Espinosa, P. Molina, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, Chem. Eur, J. 21, 5504-5509 (2015)
-  “Kondo effect in a neutral and stable all organic radical single molecule break junction" R. Frisenda, R. Gaudenzi, C. Franco, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, I. Alcon, S. Bromley, E. Burzuri, H. van der Zant, Nano Lett. 15, 3109-3114 (2015)
-  “Looking inside the Perchlorinated Trityl Radical/Metal Spinterface through Spectroscopy” V. Mugnaini, A. Calzolari, R. Ovsyannikov, A. Vollmer, M. Gonidec, I. Alcon, J. Veciana, M. Pedio, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 6, 2101-2106 (2015)
-  “A benzyl alcohol derivative of the BDPA radical for fast dissolution dynamic nuclear polarization NMR spectroscopy” J. L. Muñoz-Gómez, E. Monteagudo, V. Lloveras, T. Parella, J. Veciana* and J. Vidal-Gancedo, Org. Biomol. Chem., 13, 2689-2693 (2015).
-  “Integrating mechanical and biological control of cell proliferation through bioinspired multieffector materials” J. Seras-Franzoso, W. Tatkiewicz, E. Vazquez, E. García-Fruitós, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, A. Villaverde, Nanomedicine (Lond.) 10(5), 873–891(2015)
-  “Biomedical Applications of bacterial Inclusion Bodies” I. Ratera, S. Peternal, J. Seras-Franzoso, O. Cano-Garrido, E. García-Fruitós, R. Cubarsi, E. Vazqquez, J.L. Corchero, E. Rodríguez-Carmona, J. Veciana, A. Villaverde in “Protein Aggregations in Bacteria. Functional and Structural Properties of Inclusion Bodies in Bacteria Cells”, Eds. S. M. Doglia and M. Lotti; Wiley 2014, pags 203-220.
-  “Engineering Protein Based Nanoparticles for Applications in Tissue Engineering” W.I. Tatkiewicz, Joaquin Seras-Franzoso, C. Díez-Gil, E. García Fruitós, E. Vázquez, I. Ratera, A. Villaverde, and Jaume Veciana in “Bio- and Bioinspired Nanomaterials” Eds. D. Ruiz-Molina, F. Novio, and C. Roscini; Wiley-VCH Verlag 2014, Chapter 16, pages 425-449.
-  “Methods for Characterization of Protein Aggregates” W.I. Tatkiewicz, E. Elizondo, E. Moreno, C. Díez-Gil, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, I. Ratera; in “Insoluble Proteins. Methods and Protocols” Ed. E. García-Fruitós; Methods in Molecular Biology, Volume 1258, 2014, Springer Protocols, Chapter 22, pages 387-401. ISBN: 978-1-4939-2204-8.
-  "Radical Dendrimers: A Family of Five Generations of Phosphorus Dendrimers Functionalized with TEMPO Radicals" E. Badetti, V. Lloveras, J.L. Muñoz, R. Sebastián, A.-M. Caminade, J.P. Majoral, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, Macromolecules, 47, 7717-7724 (2014)
-  “Surfactant-free CO2-based microemulsion-like system” R. F. Hankel, P.E. Rojas, M. Cano-Sarabia, S. Sala, J. Veciana, A. Braeuer, N. Ventosa, Chem. Commun., 50, 2014, 50, 8215--8218 (2014)
-  “A new (TTF)11I8 organic molecular conductor: from single crystals to flexible all-organic piezoresistive films” V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, E. Moreno-Calvo, C. Rovira, V. Laukhin, I. Ivanov, S.M. Dolotov, V.F. Traven, V.V. Chernyshev, J. Veciana, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2, 139-146 (2014)
-  “A Compact Tetrathiafulvalene–Benzothiadiazole Dyad and Its Highly Symmetrical Charge-Transfer Salt: Ordered Donor π-Stacks Closely Bound to Their Acceptors” Y. Geng, R. Pfattner, A. Campos, J. Hauser, V. Laukhin, J. Puigdollers, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, S. Decurtins, S.-X. Liu, Chem. Eur. J., 20, 7136-7143 (2014)
-  “Tuning the Electronic Properties of Piezoresistive Bilayer Films Based on α-(BEDT-TTF)2I3” V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, V. Laukhin, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2014, 3927-3932 (2014)
-  “Silk/molecular conductor bilayer thin-films: properties and sensing functions” E. Steven, V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, C. Rovira, V. Laukhin, J.S. Brooks, J. Veciana, Mater. Horiz., 1, 522–528 (2014)
-  “Wireless Sensor Node with Ultrasensitive Film Sensors for Emergency Applications” A. Somova, V. Lebedev, A. Baranov, E. Laukhina, V. Laukhin, R. Passerone, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Procedia Engineering, 87, 520-523 (2014)
-  “Multi-layer pressure sensor designed for pressure ranges up to 500 bars: polycrystalline organic molecular metal is at play” V. Laukhin, E. Laukhina, V. Lebedev, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Procedia Engineering, 87, 1135-1138 (2014)
-  “Conductive fabric responding to extremely small temperature changes” E. Laukhin, V. Laukhin, V. Lebedev, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Procedia Engineering, 87, 144-147 (2014)
-  “A New Microcrystalline Phytosterol Polymorph generated using CO2-expanded solvents” E. Moreno-Calvo, F. Temelli, A. Córdoba, N. Masciocchi, J. Veciana, N. Ventosa, Cryst. Growth & Design, 14, 58-68 (2014)
-  “Intramolecular Electron-Transfer and Charge Delocalization in Bistable Donor-Acceptor Systems Based on PTM Radicals Linked to Ferrocene and Tetrathiafulvalene Units” M. Souto, D.C. Morales, J, Guasch, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, A. Painelli, J. Veciana, J. Phys. Org. Chem., 27 (6), 465-469 (2014)
-  “Highly sensitive and selective detection of the pyrophosphate anion biomarker under physiological conditions” G. Sánchez, D. Curiel, W. Tatkiewcz, I. Ratera, A. Tárraga, J. Veciana, P. Molina, Chem. Sci., 5, 2328–2335 (2014)
-  ”Diradicals Acting Through Diamagnetic Phenylene Vinylene Bridges. Raman Spectroscopy as a Probe to Characterize Spin Delocalization” S. Rodriguez-González, B. Nieto-Ortega, R.C. González-Cano, V. Lloveras, J. Novoa, F. Mota, J. Vidal-Gancedo, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, E. delCorro, M. Taravillo, V. Garcia-Baonza, J.Lopez-Navarrete, J. Casado, J. Chem. Phys. 140, 164903 (2014)
-  “Intracellular targeting of CD44+ cells with self-assembling, protein only nanoparticles” M. Pesarrodona, N. Ferrer-Miralles, U. Unzueta, P. Gener, W. Tatkiewicz, I. Abasolo, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, S. Schwartz Jr, A. Villaverde*, E. Vazquez, Int. J. of Pharmaceutics, 473, 286-295 (2014)
-  “The 13C Solid DNP Mechanisms with Perchlorotriphenylmethyl Radicals–the Role of 35,37Cl” F. Mentink Vigier, D. Shimon, V. Mugnaini, J. Veciana, A. Feintuch, M. Pons, S. Vega, D. Goldfarb, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 16 (36), 19218-19228 (2014)
-  “How does Growth Hormone Releasing Hexapeptide self-assemble in Nanotubes?” H. Santana, C. L. Avila, I. Cabrera, R. Páez, V. Falcón, A. Pessoa Jr, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, R. Itri, L. Barbosa, Soft Matter, 10, 9260-9269 (2014)
-  “Novel PTM-TEMPO Biradical for Fast Dissolution Dynamic Nuclear Polarization" J.L. Muñoz-Gómez, I. Marín-Montesinos, V. Lloveras, M. Pons, J. Vidal-Gancedo, J. Veciana, Org. Lett, 16 (20), 5402-5405 (2014).
-  “Sensing Hg(II) ions in water: From molecules to nanostructured molecular materials” I. Ratera, A. Tárraga, P. Molina, J. Veciana, in “Organic Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Characterization, and Device Applications”; Eds. Torres, Tomás; Bottari, Giovanni. Chapter 24. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2013).
-  “The perchlorotriphenylmethyl (PTM) radical” J. Guasch, X. Fontrodona, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Acta Cryst. C, 69, 255–257 (2013)
-  “Harnessing Electron Transfer from the Perchlorotriphenylmethide Anion to Y@C82(C2v) to Engineer an Endometallofullerene-Based Salt” I.E. Kareev, E. Laukhina, V.P. Bubnov, V.M. Martynenko, V. Lloveras, J. Vidal- Gancedo, M. Mas-Torrent, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, ChemPhysChem, 14, 1670–1675 (2013)
-  “Synthesis and Structural Characterization of a Dendrimer Model Compound Based on a Cyclotriphosphazene Core with TEMPO Radicals as Substituents” E. Badetti, V. Lloveras, K. Wurst, R.M. Sebastián, A-M. Caminade, J-P. Majoral, J. Veciana, J. Vidal-Gancedo, Org. Lett., 15(14), 3490–3493 (2013)
-  ”Surface grafting of a dense and rigid coordination polymer based on tri-para-carboxypolychlorotriphenylmethyl radical and copper acetate” V. Mugnaini, M. Paradinas, O. Shekhah, N. Roques, C. Ocal, Ch. Wöll, J. Veciana, J. Mater. Chem. C, 1, 793–800 (2013)
-  “Quatsomes: Vesicles Formed by Self-Assembly of Sterols and Quaternary Ammonium Surfactants” L. Ferrer-Tasies, E. Moreno-Calvo, M. Cano-Sarabia, M. Aguilella-Arzo, A. Angelova, S. Lesieur, S. Ricart, J. Faraudo, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, Langmuir, 29, 6519−6528 (2013)
-  ”PDMS based photonic lab-on-a-chip for the selective optical detection of heavy metal ions” B. Ibarlucea, César Díez-Gil, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, A. Caballero, F. Zapata, A. Tárraga, P. Molina, S. Demming, S. Büttgenbach, César Fernández-Sánchez, A. Llobera, Analyst, 138, 839-844 (2013)
-  “Modified mesoporous silica nanoparticles as a reusable, selective chromogenic sensor for mercury(II) recognition” G. Sánchez, D. Curiel, I. Ratera, A. Tárraga, J. Veciana, P. Molina, Dalton Trans., 42, 6318–6326 (2013)
-  ”Surface-Confined Electroactive Molecules for Multistate Charge Storage Information” M. Mas-Torrent , C. Rovira , J. Veciana, Adv. Mater., 25, 462–468 (2013)
-  “Intramolecular electron transfer in the photodimerisation product of a tetrathiafulvalene derivative in solution and on a surface” C. Simao, M. Mas-Torrent, V. André, M.T. Duarte, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, Chem. Sci., 4, 307-310 (2013)
-  “Photo-induced intramolecular charge transfer in an ambipolar field-effect transistor based on a p-conjugated donor–acceptor dyad” R. Pfattner, E. Pavlica, M. Jaggi, S-X. Liu, S. Decurtins, G. Bratina, J. Veciana, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, J. Mater. Chem. C, 1, 3985–3988 (2013)
-  “All Organic Flexible Lightweight BL-Film Sensor Systems with Wireless Data Transmission” R. Pfattner, V. Lebedev, B. Moradi, E. Laukhina, V. Laukhin, C. Rovira, J. Veciana Sensors & Transducers, 18, 128-133 (2013))
-  “Electrochemical and chemical tuning of the surface wettability of tetrathiafulvalene self-assembled monolayers” J. Casado-Montenegro, M. Mas-Torrent, F. Otón, N. Crivillers, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, Chem. Commun., 49, 8084-8086 (2013)
-  “Bistability of Fc-PTM-Based Dyads: The Role of the Donor Strength” J. Guasch, L. Grisanti, S. Jung, D. Morales, G. D’Avino, M. Souto, X. Fontrodona, A. Painelli, F. Renz, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, Chem. Mater. 25, 808−814 (2013)
-  “Robust molecular micro-capsules for encapsulating and releasing hydrophilic contents” F. Vera, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Avci, J. Arbiol, J. Esquena, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Chem. Commun., 49, 7827-7829 (2013)
-  “Micro- and nanoformulation of APIs using CO2 expanded solvents” S. Sala, E. Elisondo, E. Moreno-Calvo, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, Chemistry Today, 31 (6), 6-10 (2013).
-  “Electrochemical and magnetic properties of a surface-grafted novel endohedral metallofullerene derivative” N. Crivillers, Y. Takano, Y. Matsumoto, J. Casado-Montenegro, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, T. Akasaka, J. Veciana, Chem. Commun., 49, 8145-8147 (2013).
-  “Highly Reduced Double-Decker Single-Molecule Magnets Exhibiting Slow Magnetic Relaxation” M. Gonidec, I. Krivokapic, J. Vidal-Gancedo, E.S. Davies, J. McMaster, S.M. Gorun, J. Veciana, Inorg. Chem. 52, 4464−4471 (2013)
-  “Intra- and Intermolecular Charge Transfer in Aggregates of Tetrathiafulvalene-Triphenylmethyl Radical Derivatives in Solution” J. Guasch, L. Grisanti, M. Souto, V. Lloveras, J. Vidal-Gancedo, I. Ratera, A. Painelli, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 135, 6958−6967 (2013)
-  “Thermomagnetic Molecular System Based on TTF-PTM Radical: Switching the Spin and Charge Delocalization” M. Souto, J. Guasch, V. Lloveras, P. Mayorga, J.T. López Navarrete, J. Casado, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, A. Painelli, J. Veciana, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 4, 2721−2726 (2013)
-  “Two-Dimensional Microscale Engineering of Protein-Based Nanoparticles for Cell Guidance” W.I. Tatkiewicz, J. Seras-Franzoso, E. García-Fruitós, E. Vazquez, N. Ventosa, K. Peebo, I. Ratera, A. Villaverde, J. Veciana, ACS Nano , 7 (6), 4774–4784 (2013)
-  “Supramolecular organization of protein-releasing functional amyloids solved in bacterial inclusion bodies” O. Cano-Garrido, E. Rodríguez-Carmona, C. Díez-Gil, E. Vázquez, E. Elizondo, R. Cubarsi, J. Seras-Franzoso, J.L. Corchero, U. Rinas, I. Ratera, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, A. Villaverde, E. García-Fruitós, Acta Biomaterialia, 9, 6134–6142 (2013)
-  “Hydrophobic Gentamicine loaded Nanoparticles are effective against Brucella melitensis Infection in Mice” E. Imbuluzqueta, C. Gamazo, H. Lana, M.Á. Campanero, D. Salas, A.G. Gil, E. Elizondo, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, M.J. Blanco-Prieto, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., 57(7):3326-3333 (2013)
-  “Functionalization of 3D scaffolds with protein-releasing biomaterials for intracellular delivery” J. Seras-Franzoso, Ch. Steurer, M. Roldán, M. Vendrell, C. Vidaurre-Agut, A. Tarruella, L. Saldaña, N. Vilaboa, M. Parera, E. Elizondo, I. Ratera, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, A.J. Campillo-Fernández, E. García-Fruitós, E. Vázquez, A. Villaverde, Journal of Controlled Release, 171, 63–72 (2013)
-  “Multifunctional Nanovesicle-Bioactive Conjugates Prepared by a One-Step Scalable Method Using CO2‑Expanded Solvents” I. Cabrera, E. Elizondo, O. Esteban, J.L. Corchero, M. Melgarejo, D. Pulido, A. Córdoba, E. Moreno, U. Unzueta, E. Vazquez, I. Abasolo, S. Schwartz, Jr., A. Villaverde, F. Albericio, M. Royo, M.F. García-Parajo, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, Nano Lett., 13, 3766−3774 (2013)
-  “Benznidazol and triazol Research group for nanomedicine and innovation on Chagas disease (BERENICE). A new treatment for Chagas disease” I. Molina, M. Sousa-Silva, T. Vinuesa, J. Veciana, JL Pedraz, R. Correa-Oliveira, S. Sosa-Estani, L. Ferrero, PM Melul, E. Esteban, E. Gainza, Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18, 134−134 (2013)
-  “Microstructured Objects Produced by the Supramolecular Hierarchical Assembly of an Organic Free Radical gathering Hydrophobic-Amphiphilic Characteristics” F. Vera, M. Mas-Torrent, J. Esquena, C. Rovira, Y. Shen, T. Nakanishi, J. Veciana, Chem. Sci., 3, 1958-1962 (2012)
-  “Crystallization of micro-particulate pure polymorphs of active pharmaceutical ingredients using CO2-expanded solvents” S. Sala, A. Córdoba, Alba; E. Moreno-Calvo; E. Elizondo; M. Muntó; P. Rojas; MªA. Larrayoz; N. Ventosa; J. Veciana, Cryst. Growth Des., 12, 1717−1726 (2012).
-  “Phase behavior of phytosterols and cholesterol in carbon dioxide-expanded etanol” F. Temelli, A. Cordoba, J. Veciana, N. Ventosa, J. Super. Fluids, 63, 59-68 (2012)
-  “Role of geometry, substrate and atmosphere on performance of OFETs based on TTF derivatives” T. Marszalek, A. Nosal, R. Pfattner, J. Jung, S. Kotarba, M. Mas-Torrent, B. Krause, J. Veciana, M. Gazicki-Lipman, C. Crickert, G. Schmidt, C. Rovira, J. Ulanski, Organic Electronics 13, 121–128 (2012)
-  ”Evidence of intrinsic ambipolar charge transport in a high band gap organic semiconductor” C. Moreno, R. Pfattner, M. Mas-Torrent, J. Puigdollers, S.T. Bromley, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, R. Alcubilla, J. Mater. Chem, 22, 345-348, (2012)
-  “Polycarbonate Films Metallized with a Single Component Molecular Conductor Suited to Strain and Stress Sensing Applications” E. Laukhina, V. Lebedev, V. Laukhin, A. Pérez del Pino, E. B. Lopes, A. I. S. Neves, D. Belo, M. Almeida, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, Organic Electronics, 13, 894–898, (2012)
-  “Organic Metal – Organic Semiconductor Blended Contacts in Single Crystal Field-Effect Transistors for a Significant Improvement of the Device Performance” R. Pfattner, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Moreno, J. Puigdollers, R. Alcubilla, I. Bilotti, E. Venuti, A. Brillante, V. Laukhin, J. Veciana, C. Rovira, J. Mater. Chem, 22, 16011-16016 (2012)
-  “All-Organic Humidity Sensing Films with Electrical Detection Principle Suitable to Biomedical Applications” V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, C. Rovira, V. Laukhin, J. Veciana Procedia Engineering, 47, 603–606 (2012)
-  “Towards Flexible Lightweight Strain Sensors with Low Temperature Coefficient of Resistance” V. Lebedev, E. Laukhina, V. Laukhin, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Procedia Engineering 47, 857–860 (2012)
-  “Three-Dimensional Porous Metal-Radical Frameworks based on Triphenylmethyl Radicals” A. Datcu, N. Roques, V. Jubera, D. Maspoch, X. Fontrodona, K. Wurst, I. Imaz, G. Mouchaham, J. Sutter, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Chem. Eur J. 18, 152-162 (2012)
-  “Playing with organic radicals as building blocks for functional molecular materials” I. Ratera, J. Veciana, Chem. Soc. Rev., 41, 303 – 349 (2012).
-  “Attaching persistent organic free radicals to surfaces: how and why?” M. Mas-Torrent; N. Crivillers; C. Rovira; J. Veciana, Chem. Rev. 112, 2506–2527 (2012)
-  "Influence of the preparation route on the supramolecular organization of lipids in a vesicular system" E. Elizondo, J. Larsen, N. Hatzakis, I. Cabrera, J. Veciana, D. Stamou, N. Ventosa, J. Am. Chem Soc., 134, 1918-1921 (2012)
-  “Chiral Conformation at a Molecular Level of a Propeller-Like Open-Shell Molecule on Au(111)” F. Grillo, V. Mugnaini, M. Oliveros, S.M. Francis, D.-J. Choi, M.V. Rastei, L. Limot, C. Cepek, M. Pedio, S.T. Bromley, N.V. Richardson, J._P. Bucher, J. Veciana, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 3, 1559-1564 (2012)
-  “Charge transport through unpaired spin-containing molecules on surfaces” N. Crivillers, M. Mas-Torrent, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, J. Mater. Chem., 22, 13883-13890J (2012)
-  “An Ordered Organic Radical on a Cu-Doped Au(111) Surface” F. Grillo, H. Früchtl, S. M. Francis, V. Mugnaini, M. Oliveros, J. Veciana, N.V. Richardson, Nanoscale, 4 (21), 6718 – 6721 (2012)
-  “Induced TTF Self-assembly of a Neutral Organic Open-Shell Dyad through an Intramolecular Electron Transfer” J. Guasch, L. Grisanti, V. Lloveras, J. Vidal-Gancedo, M. Souto, D. C. Morales, M. Vilaseca, C. Sissa, A. Painelli, I. Ratera, C. Rovira, J. Veciana, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 51, 11024 –11028 (2012)
-  “Novel double-decker phthalocyaninato terbium (III) single molecule magnets with stabilised redox states” M. Gonidec, D.B. Amabilino, J. Veciana, Dalton Trans. 41, 13632-13639 (2012)
-  “Bioadhesiveness and efficient mechanotransduction stimuli synergistically provided by bacterial inclusion bodies as scaffolds for tissue engineering" J. Seras-Franzoso, C. Díez-Gil, E. Vazquez, E. García-Fruitós, R. Cubars, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, A. Villaverde Nanomedicine 7(1), 79–93 (2012)
-  “Bacterial inclusion bodies: making gold from waste” E. García-Fruitós, E. Vazquez, C. Diez-Gil, J.L. Corchero, J. Seras-Franzoso, I. Ratera, J. Veciana, A. Villaverde, Trends in Biotech. 30, 65-70 (2012)
-  “Cellular pharmacokinetics and intracellular activity against Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus of chemically modified and nanoencapsulated gentamicin” E. Imbuluzqueta, S. Lemaire, C. Gamazo, E. Elizondo, N. Ventosa, J. Veciana, F. Van Bambeke, M. Blanco-Prieto J. Antimicrob. Chemother., 67(9), 2158-2164 (2012)
-  “Nanostructuring molecular materials as particles and vesicles for drug delivery, using compressed and supercritical fluids” E. Elizondo, J. Veciana, N. Ventosa, Nanomedicine, 7(9), 1391-1408 (2012)
Professor Jaume Veciana has participated in numerous research projects:
- Principal investigator of 40 national projects funded by agencies and public foundations on basic research in functional chemistry, molecular materials and nanoscience.
- Principal investigator of 25 research contracts financed private companies conducted on or applied research and development of new functional materials and processing of molecular materials and rich polymers
- Principal investigator of 35 projects funded by international organizations and foreign agencies on basic research and development of new functional materials and molecular nanoscience.
Jaume Veciana's Research Interests
We can divide our work in this field in the following three sub-areas:
Unimolecular Electronics and Molecular Spintronics
The fabrication of electronic devices based on molecules as active components are considered an approach that would enable to reaching the maxima limits of miniaturization; i.e. the molecule with sizes around 10 Å. We are working on the synthesis of novel redox- and magnetically-active molecules with the appropriate electronic and chemical structures to be integrated in molecular junctions, i.e. between two/three electrodes. Our endeavour is to assess the performance of the molecular junctions based on either self-assembled monolayers or single-molecules. Further, we are working on the emerging field of organic spintronics that aims at exploiting not only the charge transport but also the spin of the electrons in these junctions with the ultimate goal to develop memory devices, like qubits.
Molecular and Supramolecular Switches
Bistable molecules that can be externally switched between two (or more states) with different properties are candidate systems as active elements in information storage devices. To move towards applications it is imperative to immobilize and organize these molecules in solid supports or in crystals exhibiting such bistabilities. Thus, we are obtaining and studying organic D–A dyad and the associated bistability phenomenon in solution and solid state when an external stimulus (i.e. T, P or light) is applied forming the zwitterionic state with different physical properties. We are also working on the preparation of hybrid surfaces that consist of inorganic –ITO, Au, etc- conducting supports functionalized with a chemically bonded self-assembled monolayer (SAM) of electroactive molecules with two (or more) stable redox states. By the application of an electrical input, the molecular states are switched and accordingly the optical, magnetic or electrical response of the hybrid surfaces is modified which can be exploited as readable outputs.
E-skin Devices based on Conducting Nanocomposite Thin-films
E-skin devices based on conducting polymeric nanocomposite thin-films able to respond with an ultra-high sensitivity to temperature changes and tiny deformations as well as to the NIR impinging radiation are developed. The progress of such pyro- and piezo-resistive thin-films are made considering a holistic perspective including: design and synthesis of new molecules and their derived conducting ion-radical organic salts, determination of the structure and electronic properties of such ion-radical salts, their integration into nanocomposite thin-films as nanocrystals, the device fabrication and integration of the devices. Applications of such E-skin devices for biomedical applications as sensors for human constants -blood pressure, intraocular pressure, temperature, etc- are pursued.
Jaume Veciana's Research Interests
Our activities in this broad field are focused in two different sub-areas:
Multifunctional Nanovesicles for Theranosis Applications
Research interests are focused in therapy and diagnosis applications of self-assembled supramolecular nano-objects, like vesicles, prepared by techniques based on compressed fluids. Activities addressed to therapy with such a nano-objects are two-fold. On one side we are interested in the development of novel kinds of nanovesicles, like quatsomes, or conventional liposomes to prepare multifunctional, targeted nanoconjugates for drug delivery. This research has led to novel nanomedicine candidates for the treatment of lysosomal deficient diseases, like Fabry and SanFilippo using enzymatic replacement therapies, and for curing diabetic feet ulcers and complex ulcers. Inside diagnosis applications several activities are currently in progress based mainly on the incorporation of fluorescent dyes or magnetic molecules (radicals or polyradicals) into nanovesicles for bioimaging purposes using optical (2PA and Fluorescence) and magnetic (MRI and DNP) techniques. Development of novel magnetic organic molecules, like radicals and polyradicals, as DNP polarizing agents and magnetic contrast agents are also investigated. Furthermore, the capability of nanovescicles to encapsulate/integrate two or more bioactive molecules together with fluorescent/magnetic probes enable their use for theranosis.
Molecular Materials for Tissue Engineering and Cell Therapies
Another line of research is addressed in the use of bioactive surfaces based on molecules, bistable supramolecular materials, polymers and in microfluidics for tissue engineering and cell therapy applications. One of the most attractive objectives pursued is to trigger the organization on surfaces of growth factors in a biomimetic way to understand and control the biochemical signals that direct cellular behavior towards vascular repair therapies and to generate vascular tissues. Inside therapy applications very recently a new line of research has been initiated which is addressed to the use of responsive molecule-based 2D and 3D scaffolds for T cell activation in Cancer Immunotherapy.